Monday, April 22, 2013

BES Assignment 5: The East End


I was luckily placed at the Hoxton Trust for work, so the East End was not as unfamiliar to me as to others. For this assignment, I both enjoyed the walk, even though I completed it over multiple trips.

Whitechappel Art Gallery:

There is so much I could say about this gallery. First, I had no idea what I was getting into when I walked in. The first room I went into had a hallow tree trunk with gold leaf on every part of the inside. The reason for this eludes me, though. Two more exhibits that caught my eye were both deal with sex. The first was a video of an old French man talking about his sexual exploits of his youth. I didn’t quite understand this but I think it touches on a greater topic, of how sex is a lesser taboo topic on this side of the Pond. The second was a room with a about 15 televisions each playing a video of a group sitting around talking about their sexual exploits and planning others. Again, how this is art blows my mind. Some of the permanent exhibits were nice, and I would highly recommend this gallery to anyone who comes to London.

Number 18:

I thought that this was a unique house. I did not get the chance to go in the house, but I did have an appreciation for most of the houses around it. I enjoy the feeling of that area of London. It reminds me of a more industrial time, a time when London was nearer to its heyday.

Spitalfields Market:

The day I walked around Spitalfields was a Monday, so it was quite dead around the market. What I did notice was a lot of eating establishments. I deduced that a lot of people from the City must come up to this part of town during lunch or after work for something to eat. I also liked that it was a covered market. During my trips to markets, I disliked when it rained or was windy and there was no protection from the elements.

Brick Lane:

I went to Brick Lane twice, once with my boss and the other time on some Saturday night. The first, my boss and I had a meeting there, so after the meeting, she showed me around. Finally, she brought me to a bagel bakery and was telling me about how this is one of the oldest bagel factories in the cities. If I am not mistaken, it has Jewish roots. The second time I visited, the place transformed. A group of us went to a few bars and it was wild. It was unlike anything I have been to in the States. People were drunk but not belligerent. Everyone seemed to just be out for a good time, rather than to cause ruckus, which seems to be the goal at home. Also, the Kebabs at 2:15 are delicious!

Not on the tour, but a place I feel inclined to add is Hoxton Street. I work on that street and it has a flavor all its own. There are two bakeries, which if I worked full time there, I would frequent way too much. One has the best sweets, breads, and other goods, while the other has 2 bread puddings for a pound. There is also two cafés with a 12” pizza for £2.95 and down the road are two pubs, one that is open until 2 or 3 in the morning, and the other with an open rooftop. And of course, one can’t forget to mention that The Verve recorded Bitter Sweet Symphony on that street, where I can see the Hoxton Trust Community Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment