Friday, April 26, 2013

Internship Assignment C


 What are you observing about your work environment? If you could, what are two things you would keep and two things you would change?

Keep: The Atmosphere is very open at work. It is acceptable to talk to people and have conversations with them. Both people keep in mind that they have work to do and allow enough time to do it. I would like to keep the ability to talk to and get to know your co-workers more.

Keep: Tea. It is amazing what a nice cuppa will do for the work ethic. I would make the tea for my boss and I, along with whoever was around when I asked. I was just a time for me to relax and reorganize what is going on in my head. Also, since you have to boil water, you don’t get to drink it immediately. That little victory and satisfaction when you do get to drink it boosted my moral throughout the day.

Change: I would have liked to be better integrated into the Trust quicker. I felt that I didn’t really get introduced to everyone properly and I was still meeting people a month after I started. At the end I felt a part of the Trust, but it took honestly a few months.

Change: I had extremely sporadic hours. I would go in anywhere from 9.00 until 11.30 and then leave anywhere from 16.30 to 20.00. I would have tried to be a little more consistent with leaving. That being said, sometimes I left late because of my own doings just to make sure that I finished the work that I was assigned.

2. How does your supervisor’s style work for you? What would you want to be like as a supervisor in the future?

My supervisor had a decent approach to being the boss. I respected the fact that she knew her place and dedicated so much time to the Trust. She also attended conferences, meetings, and seminars to learn about external factors that would be affecting the Trust in the coming years. She was a good multi-tasker and could be stern when needed. She also took a genuine interest in my life. I felt very open with her and she gave me not only sound advice, but advice that could influence my managerial style.

I did not think that she could manage her time effectively. She would often stay quite later than I at work, which she told me to make sure that I don‘t do when I am working. She also doodled quite a bit when people were talking to her, either on the phone or during meetings. I found that slightly rude. There were times when I couldn’t read her emotions either, whether she was happy or unsatisfied with my work.

We talked a lot about me being a supervisor in the future. One thing that we discussed was worker relationships. I want to have a relationship with my workers that borders on friendship. I want them to feel comfortable coming to me with issues and telling me about their lives. I do need them to know that I am the boss, and even though I seem to be their friend, it is because they do quality work. I want to lead by example, so I want to make sure that they understand that my decisions are for the best of the company and nothing is personal. Finally, I want to be able to have the delegating skills so I do not overload myself. I need to make sure I am surrounded by people whom I can trust do work, so I only have to review it and add my own spin. That will save my time so I can do more important things like strategic planning and attending meetings dealing with the big picture of the firm.

3. What are you learning about yourself through this internship? What is one thing about yourself that you would like to improve for your next job?

Something that was pointed out to me was that I am perpetually positive at work. This is not the first time I have been accused of this, but now I know it is a trait that I have. I disliked working (I mean, honestly who likes waking up early, and commuting?) but that is no reason for me to be miserable or distant at work. Something that I want to improve which I had noticed and was pointed out to me was how I became familiar with the Trust. It took me quite a while to really get a feel for the Trust. I would read memos and business plans and things but not retain anything. Once I was there for a while, I understood what I was getting into more, but it just took a long time. This is something I experienced at my last job too, so I need to be aware and really try hard next time.  

4. What are two things you have learned how to do or improved upon during this internship? These are skills and they might belong on your resume.

Networking/Communication- I have participated in a few networking events, where the goal was just to meet as many people as possible. I was forced to talk to random people and it was good practice for when I go home and have to do it nearly every week during recruitment.

Representing the Trust- My boss was proud at how I represented the Trust at the events. She said that I would focus the conversation on the Trust rather than on myself, which most people asked about. This will be useful in the future when I have to go and represent the company I work for and have to project their views, opinions, values and goals.

5. After college, will you look for a company that is similar to the one that you have interned with? Why?

I don’t think I would look for a job in the not-for-profit field directly right out of school. I would much rather go to a big firm then in my free time help a charity. I have gotten a much better idea of how much one person’s help is to a charity. I will also try and get work groups together to help charities, like groups have done at the Trust. Again, that help is vital to the longevity of the Trust. Eventually, I would like to become a trustee of a trust.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks very much for your large information .And knowledge full description . I think it is Sus a topic that many kinds of people face many problems. thanks for this.
    meeting people,

    ReplyDelete