Friday, April 26, 2013

BES Assignment #7: Wimbledon


My trip to Wimbledon was amazing. First, I enjoy tennis, so it was a no-brainer that I was going to visit, but also I really enjoy getting out of the metropolitan part of the city. I took the Tube there because I was on a semi-short time frame. I made it there around 9:45. The first thing that I noticed was how bustling the area around the train station was. It wasn’t a bustling like found near the corner of Russell Square, but the bustle of people running errands and working.

I noticed that all of the stores on the high street were smaller. Of course, there were tons of coffee shops, but the clothes stores were more boutiques than labels. I really appreciate seeing that. I headed towards the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club. The walk there was beautiful. First, you walk up a great hill, which really disappointed me because I got sweaty. The anticipation of this my destination was killing me, and I thought when I reached the top that I would be at my destination.

I was wrong. At the top of a hill was a more commercial area again. I stopped in a coffee shot to grab a cup of tea, which I drank a little too quickly. I don’t like rushing when I go to places because it seems that the Europeans don’t, so I want to fit in, also I am usually never in a hurry. It was about a 15 minute walk to the tennis club, and most of that walk was in residential areas. Two things I noticed were that 1) it was quite a posh area and 2) people really are nicer outside of central London. I passed probably ten people on the street and I got about 5 half-smiles and even a hello from one of them.


The atmosphere at the club was everything I hoped for. There was an electricity in the air when I walked in (I may have made that up myself) and the security guard at the door was quite friendly. After visiting the museum, I went to the café at the club and had another cuppa and some scones. They actually had a good deal, 2 scones, jam and clotted cream for 3.30. I was easily the youngest person in the café, which I will attribute to the fact that it was early and a club. I also felt inadequately dressed. I looked fine, but there was something more about the people there. Upon leaving, the guard and I chatted a bit and he asked where I what I was doing the rest of the day (going to Kew Gardens). What really took my breath away was the fact that he seemed interested in talking to me.
I walked back to the train station but stopped at a pub for a proper lunch (around 1.30) and a pint. Again, everyone was surprisingly friendly there. Even though I ate alone, I didn’t feel awkward or anything. I would have liked to spend more time in Wimbledon. Hopefully I will be back one day to actually visit the championship, because I could easily see that semi-sleepy village turning into something special over that fortnight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment