Wednesday, January 16, 2013

16/1/13

Today was my first day of this city really feeling like London. I woke up at 10... then fell back asleep because. Then got up for the day at 1030. From there, I put money on my Oyster Card (basically, it is a card that lets me use any public transport just by holding my card there), then made a trek to my internship location. It was just a dry run because I have to go back tomorrow, only for a meeting, so I get to know my boss and discuss other things probably. Hopefully I get some tea!

After, I took a walk down to the Thames. I went via the financial district, which something I found stunning, but common between Paris and London is that the city itself is incredibly quiet. I mean, the cars obviously are noisy, but if you would take them away, it is nearly silent. Conversations (except by Americans) are in a hushed voice and there are very few, if any, horns blowing.

Once I made it to the Thames, I walked along it for about four bridges. I got to see the Millennium Bridge, which I will probably learn about later, I know next to nothing about it, apart from I believe it was destroyed in Harry Potter; London Bridge; and faintly Tower Bridge, which is the famous one. It was foggy so my pictures are a little shaky. As I write this, I looked into by bag to hook my camera up to my laptop and see that I have left the cord home. So Mom, if you could, grab that and bring it over when you come. Sorry everyone else that you get no pictures until I get the card. (Maybe I will sneak a few with my iPhone and send them that way).

From there, I walked home and decided that I was hungry. So I ended up looking for a place and found none that really tickled my fancy. However, during my meanderings through the University of London, I found a man with a cooler full of food. So I went up there and it was free food. He was the most nice gentleman I have met so far in London, and when he gave me my plate, asked "Would you like some more?" in his English accent. I said no and popped two quid in as a donation. On top of that, I got a slice of apple pie, which instead of giving me the final piece, he just gave me the entire tin. It made me so happy, and it was quite tasty.
      Using a rough estimate on mapmyrun.com, I walked about 6.7 miles. That is a very rough estimate, and I know I walked more. But I love how much I get to walk here and it never felt like it was too much.

We went bowling around 445. It was a really retro place. It was in a basement and was pretty dark and furnished from what seemed like the 70's. Then we went walking around looking for a pub, and ended back up at ULU. ULU is the student union, which has a pub on the first floor. So we went in there and just as we walked in, there was a football match on. So I stayed to watch that then returned home to get ready for tomorrow. Overall it was a good day and I am hoping I have many more of those just walking and exploring days.

No comments:

Post a Comment