Monday, January 28, 2013

28/1/13

In case you were worrying, I am still sick. So. Great.

I woke up this morning and felt awful, so I took a shower to shake it. This didn't help, but I pushed through with my plans for the day. I went to the British Museum. I live only 5 minutes away, so that is why I went there and not on some extravagant walking excursion (and it rained...). I tried my best to go chronically through history, but it was hard because the museum was huge. I got a chance to look at some artifacts from Mesopotamia, then to Egypt, then Greece and a few Roman items (truthfully, I was more impressed with the Roman artifacts in the Museum of London).

When you walk into the Egypt rooms, you are greeted with a big stone. This stone is called the Rosetta Stone, the actual one. It was very interesting, especially because it explained how two archaeologists cracked the code. One was French and the other English. There was also artifacts from statues, the facade of a temple (like the entire facade-no jokes, this place is huge), and some actual mummies. Scooby Doo implanted an impression of a mummy in my head, and it was actually slightly wrong. so that was disappointing. However, it was really interesting to see them. In the Greek room, again I saw statues, pottery, and other things that survived the 3000 years. The most amazing thing though was that they had some of the original statues from the Parthenon, along with the carvings from the inside that told of a great battle between men and centaurs. It was truly breathtaking to see and to think about how the Greeks could build something so magnificent. Finally, this is something that I think I just picked up on, but I have seen more horse heads here than I anticipated. You may ask, "What are you talking about?" but trust me. I have seen about 5 horse heads around the museum and outside on the streets. The pictures below are the beginning of my completion, which I believe should be about 50 by the time I leave.
This was a statue in the middle of Hyde Park
Courtesy of the Greeks
From the Egyptians. This was huge, probably
twice as big as me
There was also a very interesting exhibit on coins. There was one piece that had a spiral of the countries of the United Nations. Strangely, the only two coins they had from America are the ones that we never use- A silver dollar (not even a Sacagawea one, like a 1990's silver dollar) and a half dollar. When I got to the European section, I decided that I had to leave because I was too exhausted. I walked to Waitrose to buy some eggs (4) and went back home to make ham and eggs and sleep. Which I did. Then I woke up to Top Gear so that was even better. Tonight, I work on other blog posts that I must do for school, and hopefully be in bed by 12 so I get a full nights rest for work tomorrow!!   


No comments:

Post a Comment