Thursday, January 31, 2013

31/1/13

Sorry about the no post yesterday. I was a little exhausted. I will tell you a little about my day.

Wednesday 30/1

I had to get up early to go to a meeting between Hoxton Trust and other London non-profits to discuss problems and strategies moving forward. I won't bore you with what we did at the meeting, if you are curious, I will be writing an internship journal tonight too probably, so you can read about it further there. The meeting was in the east end, which was the first time I was over on that side of the city. I had to take the tube there, so I got to Holburn on the Central Line, and it was so packed, I had to wait for two trains to pass before I could squeeze on the third one. I rode it outside of the center of London to the stop and got out, and realized that riding the tube is really interesting, because there are times when I leave the stops and have literally no idea what to expect when I emerge.

After the meeting, Karina and I walked back to Hoxton, which took about 25 minutes or so. It was nice, for one to be outside but also because where we were walking was the proverbial poorer section of London. We walked through the complex that was the first public housing buildings in London. Which, looking at them now, I would have figured they were posh flats. When we got back to work, I did some work on the budget, and finished around 7. I was quite exhausted. Basically, I was either traveling or working from 745 until 800. A solid day's work.

Then, I hurried to ULU because it is Wednesday and Liverpool was playing Arsenal. I was only 20 minutes late. The game had 4 goals, so it was a more exciting one. It was really relaxing too, getting to talk to people and just to have some fun. Joey and I were talking to Brian, which he is probably the most down to Earth Londoner I have met so far. Brian works security at ULU, where he checks ids. I finally got to bed at 2:30 I believe, because once I got back, Megan and I had a cuppa, which made me realize that I may need to go get some tea and a mug. Oh yea, I also got a free mug!


Thursday 31/1

Mind you, when I say I go to bed, I mean I get in bed. I got to sleep around 3:45 and woke up at 5:30 because I couldn't sleep well. I just was nervous about oversleeping. Anyways, I got up for the day at 7:50 and went to class at 9:15. Class was fine, and I wasn't too tired, until we got to seminar. We had to discuss the opening of the Olympic games that happened this summer. However, from the reaction of the class, I was the only one to have watched it. So 1) I am a nerd and 2) it was a painfully slow block of time. The proctor was trying to get people to participate, but Leah and I were the only ones to put any input in. So that was a struggle and I hope next class goes better.

Afterwards, Matt and I went to the farmers' market that is just outside the door where we were studying. this farmers' market is in the heart of the university, so they mostly sold food and desserts. After a difficult choice between burgers, a sandwich from a pig (like there was a whole pig and a guy was just pulling the meat off and putting it on bread. It looked so good), seafood something with rice, and lamb, we decided to get lamb.


Basically, there was a roll at the bottom, then salad, followed by such a generous helping of cut lamb. The stuff on top was a mix of a chili vinaigrette and apple chutney- which I am not sure what it is besides apples and raisins (trust me, it's more) but it was delicious.

After about 15 minutes of napping, I went to religion class. The only thing I have to tell you about that is that I made a very sly reference to Spongebob that everyone but the tutor got (he is Scottish, so makes sense). I was very happy about that though because we needed something to spice it up. Also, I sat right in front of the radiator, which made my chair act like a heated seat from a car.

For the rest of the night, I am meeting people at 8.30 in the lounge, so something fun may happen. You never know. Keep an eye out for my other two posts if you get bored you are welcome to read them, but take note that they are assignments, so the writing style is a little different and not directed to people from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment