Wednesday, February 13, 2013

13/2/13

It was great. I did everything that I told you guys I would do. After I wrote the last blog post, I made a grilled ham and cheese, which I am a pro at now, then left.

First, I walked up to Kings Cross because down the road from that was a museum called the Wellcome Museum. It housed a lot of old medical materials that this man, Wellcome, collected over his lifetime. At one point, the thing I was listening to said that he would just purchase crates of objects, then put them in storage. Also, they had three commentaries from amputations spanning from the 1600's, 1800's and 2000's. I am glad I didn't go into practicing medicine, because it sounds complicated. There was also an exhibit on skulls. Most of it was cool, except it is really weird to think about how everyone says and thinks they're unique, but really, we are just bones.

After that, I walked across the city to Hyde Park. I got side-tracked and just explored a lot of the city streets as I walked towards there. When I finally got there, I knew I had to walk towards Kensington Gardens. On my way, I found an art gallery, so I stopped in. I thoroughly was confused the entire time. The first room seemed to be just book covers of German books, then it proceeded into a room with two birds in a cage, then a room of yarn wrapped around a board, and finally, a room of boots and a couch on the opposite side. Like I said yesterday... because art.

Then I made it to the Museums near the border of Westminster and Kensington. I ended up going to the Science Museum. I loved it. I don't want to be a school teacher. There were many smaller British kids there on field trips. The museum was geared towards younger kids and was quite interactive, but I don't care. I still liked it a lot. I know this will come to a surprise, and I was truly disappointed in myself, but I was too tired to walk home. I ended up getting on a bus and taking that back to Euston, and walking home from there. It was the first time since coming when I was too tired to walk. On the bus, I was up top and I fell asleep for a little bit. Luckily, I woke up on Oxford Street, so I knew where I was and didn't miss my stop.

Once I got home, Tayler and I went to Primark to exchange my pants that I got this past weekend because they were too big. That was an interesting excursion because she needed to get a green shirt for tomorrow, but we couldn't find one. I attributed it to the fact that green is not "in" this season. After rushing home, I got changed and went to ULU to watch the other Champions League match, which Manchester United was a part of, so that was great. But it was packed there, so that took away from it a little. Still, it was a lot of fun to watch and yell and cheer with a bunch of people. Now, it is midnight and I am planning on going to sleep for tomorrow. Below are some pictures that I said I would post!

So the big tower here is something I use frequently. I use it as a marker to
get home,because I am about a stone's throw away from it.

If you notice on the right, there is a fence. They are literally
everywhere here. Places are fenced in. Today I even saw a private
garden. 

Also, there are a lot of squares like this. It adds some greenery
to the city, which is great. There is one actually up and down the
street from me, kind of like Wegmans!

This is a field in Hyde Park. The problem is that it is usually cloudy
and it is winter so it looks glum, but it is so quiet, peaceful and semi-romantic
(if you are into that stuff. Romantic walks etc.)

This is a waterfall in Queen Mary Garden's, which is a part of Regent Park.

On a bridge in Regent Park. It was actually my favorite park I have been to so far.

There are no "London Style" of houses, rather houses are usually
built similarly to the ones on their street or neighbourhood.

Again in Regent Park. These parks are huge tracts of land
and great for killing a few hours in the freezing cold.

This is a train. It was talking about steam power and was impressive at the time.
I liked it because not many children were interested so I could look for a while.

1 comment:

  1. Dan - I am so glad you that enjoyed Bath, and that you are stepping out of your comfort zone and meeting new folk!

    Excellent blog, and you have understood the requirements of the assignment, with a balance of observation and reflection.

    Excellent work.

    ReplyDelete