Monday, February 18, 2013

BES First Five Weeks # 4

I mentioned that I wanted to speak with some people in pubs to get a better understanding of London culture, and to just speak with people in general. I have two occasions that have made this goal completed.

The first happened this past weekend during the Manchester United game. First, there was a bit of a row between two people in the pub, which was very odd to us because they were older gentlemen. The aggressor started yelling at this man who was sitting near us and we honestly could not figure out why. He was minding his own business and standing watching the game. Nevertheless, everyone at the pub took it in stride and just continued what they were doing. I don't think that in America this would happen. I think that a third party would step in to quell the argument. Once they left (around intermission), this older gentleman, of whom I have noticed at this pub during Manchester games, entered. He stood near the television and looked over to our table and gave me a hello. So after the game, I went up to him to talk a little football. He was extremely nice and seemed interested to the conversation. As we parted, he said that he better "see you all back supporting the Reds next time their on." I was shocked to hear him say this because I guess it means that we are accepted at the pub, at least by this guy.

My second story did not happen in a pub, or even at all yet, but I feel it is a very relevant point to make. At my internship last week, I had to go to a seminar to discuss the third sector of London. There, I met this man, Alan, and we talked over tea, sandwiches, and some delicious biscuits. Anyways, after our conversation, I got his contact address. I emailed him and we set up a meeting this coming Friday. We are to meet at a coffee shop. I am excited for this because I really enjoy talking to people about the similarities and differences of our two cultures. I hope this will also be a positive experience for me in networking, something that I feel I need to work on.

I have noticed that once you do break through the stiff upper lip of Brits, they really are pleasant people to be around and incredibly interesting and are interested in you. I hope I can continue forging these relationships and others throughout the rest of my time here.

No comments:

Post a Comment