Monday, February 4, 2013

BES First Five Weeks: #2

Things are getting a lot easier here. To keep with the assimilation point I brought up in week 1, things are going well. Something that I have found, at least to my advantage, is that I have a unique accent. When I talk to people, most of the time they ask where I am from because they can never quite place it. I was out with Megan walking in Leicester, and we were stopped by a guy from the World Wildlife Foundation. He asked where I was from and I said New York, and he commented that my accent was not from New York, but it was "Spicy." I think this helps because at least at first, people I meet will not automatically classify me as an American, but rather focus on how I am talking.

I have realized that in a city, it is very obvious who the tourists are, who the locals are, and what they are trying to do. For example, on the bus at 9.00, there will be people in suits, fellow students and young people, all looking exhausted without a smile or a word uttered the entire trip. Then on the way home, it is more or less the same, except on my bus, there are usually students who are chatty in the back. Weekends though the bus is buzzing with languages, people look happier, and the stop button is pressed every five minutes (annoying). I have noticed that I am able to fit into both groups, depending on my mood, who I am with and what is expected of me.

Another thing that I have noticed that I will have to do by the end of this month presumably, is buy a pair of shoes. Everyone in London seems to have wonderful looking shoes that are subtle yet complement their outfits in ways an American wouldn't think of. I expect I will go either to Camden Market or Spitalfields to get a pair of cheap, chic shoes.

Other than that, I am quite happy with my progress in London. I have made friends with both locals and the people in the program, which I was nervous about. We are planning a few trips and really getting settled into life as a Londoner.

No comments:

Post a Comment