Wednesday, February 20, 2013

20/2/13 (Oxford)

Today, all I did was have a Skype interview and went grocery shopping. My entire bill came up to 6.07, so that made me happy. Other than that, nothing. BUT YESTERDAY....

I went to Oxford.

I woke up at 4:45 and got on the bus around 5:30 to go to Paddington Station. From there, I caught a train to Oxford for the price of.... 5.50! I was quite disappointed though, because the sun didn't rise until 7:25... around the same time my train arrived. So I didn't even get a chance to look at the scenery.

Once I got to town, I just started walking around. I couldn't find a place that served a full English breakfast, so I settled for a sandwich of egg, bacon, and brown sauce. Then I started walking again. I ended up walking up a huge hill (I did that in Bath too. I am going to have great legs after the trip) and into some forest. Then I decided I shouldn't be walking around some forest in the English country-side. So I went back into town to a museum. I spent a decent amount of time there, went to a bookstore and music store, and sneaked into a few colleges of the university. At 1:10, I found a chapel where a student had an organ recital, so I stayed and listened to that. It was above average. He still needed a lot of practice though; a few times he missed notes badly. 

After sneaking into a few more colleges, I found another museum (exciting no?), but this one had samurai, so that was cool. Then, I stopped in a pub and read the paper. After, I went to grab an early dinner because there was a football game on at 7:45. The place I went to was having steak Tuesday, so I got a mixed grill platter and a drink for 7.25. I got steak, pork, lamb, and a sausage. Very very tasty. I went to another pub for the match and got talking to these guys who actually went to the university. They were nice enough, but were rooting for Arsenal, who ended up losing.

My train departed at 11:09 and I got back to my dorm around 1:15. I was exhausted. However, let me say this. Oxford was a very nice place, with beautiful buildings and some nice shops. I am glad that I took the time to go and see it. So here are a few pictures (I didn't take many so as to stay inconspicuous)

 




 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment