Saturday, February 9, 2013

Internship Journal Week 3

The longer that I work at the Hoxton Trust, the more I realize that I am glad that I decided to go into business. It has made me realize that I may not go into small businesses right away, but business things to interest me, and the practicality of work as opposed to the monotony school is much more appealing.

On Tuesday, I got to show up to work a little later because Karina had to go to the bank, so I arrived at 10:45. After exchanging pleasantries and talking about our weekends, Karina sent me to the accountant's office to get some boxes. I got to take a cab. It has been a hard adjustment to feel safe in a car in London. This cab driver was flying around other cars, nearly tipping the vehicle we were in. But I made it in one piece there and back. The accounting offices were in a refurbished factory, so that was interesting see because, to me, it showed how London is transforming/ has transformed from the industrial powerhouse of the 19th and 20th century to a service orientated economy. Afterwards, I worked on the budget for a while, which was interesting because it combined projecting numbers, researching NIC for employers, reading current balance sheets and reports, and I did a little extra research just to learn a little more about tax law in the UK. Karina and I left work early (17:15) to meet another coworker and her son across the street at the pub. It was very interesting because we talked a lot about the compassion between the UK and USA, British politics, and hidden gems in London. I got home around 9:15.

On Wednesday, I had to get up and leave early to be at St. Luke's Community Center at 9:30 for the London Third Sector Premises Forum which people from across London came to meet and hear the research presented by a women and provide a place for national and local government officials to discuss issues with members of the third sector, instead of representatives or lobbyists. At one point, we split into groups and I had to participate as much as I could with other people. It was difficult because they were dealing with special acts which were passed last year. Overall, it was a positive experience though because I did get to work on my networking skills, something that I need to do badly. We then walked back to work, where she had me take apart some files, so we could recycle the folders. Then she taught me how to use QuickBooks, which will be good because I can help input transactions into the system, and more importantly, I will be able to put on my CV that I am able to use them, expanding my accounting software knowledge to two. I left around 19:00, so I could make it to watch England vs. Brazil.

At the forum, I really enjoyed the break and lunch that we were provided with. I mean yes, the food was good, but more importantly, it seemed that everyone wanted to talk to someone, either about the presentations or really, anything else. I recognized a few people from last week, so I got a chance to build that relationship more. I found that most people were very welcoming and warm in a situation where they are forced to talk to people, as opposed to on the streets or in the tube. I hope I continue to go to these meetings because they are helping build my interpersonal relationships and I really love sandwiches and tea (both of which I get multiples of and they are free).

This is a picture from the kitchen, overlooking the garden. The students do a lot
of work in this garden, and it is open to the public during the day. Also, to the right
is our sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment