Monday, February 18, 2013

BES First Five Weeks #5

I am writing this entry after our trip to Bath. I chose to wait so I could talk about the trip there and how I feel to be back in London.

Bath was amazing. I had low expectations for it and I thought there was going to be a lot of free time, so much so that I was going to be bored. That was not the case at all. Bath was such a picturesque town. I love walking the streets of places and I feel like I didn't do enough of it there. Honestly, for such a compact city, there was almost too much to do, making it nearly too perfect of a place. I loved the little shops, cafes, restaurants, pubs, and houses. It was nearly perfect. Even the air smelled better than it does in London.

When the final day came and we had to leave Bath, I found it bittersweet. After an exhausting weekend, it was nice to know that home was calling, but I could have stayed there a lifetime. The pace of life, the things to do, I could have done it all forever. At home, there is not really a place to go like Bath. There is no posh town that is historic, chic, modern, friendly, and welcoming all wrapped into one. I went to the spa and I think the most relaxing part of it was when we left the steam room and went outside to the brisk air. There, we were overlooking the Roman Baths, and got a stunning view of the city. Just seeing how peaceful and beautiful it was at 10:00 had a soothing effect to it.

Once we entered London, I had mixed emotions, like I said. It was nice to be in a familiar area, and nice to know that we would be starting in a routine again. But it was hard to look at the city. The buildings seemed a little dirty, there were people and cars everywhere. Everything literally seemed to be moving, where as in Bath, things were static and calm.

Through all my travels around the world, I started a list of places I want to return to. It is extremely small. I wouldn't be heartbroken if I never visited Paris or Madrid again, but the places on this list, I must return to. In alphabetical order (because I cannot rank one over the other) the places are: Arles, France and Bath, England. Both of these cities seem to be locked in a different era. They both are unique places to me, places that I can go to and be in complete ecstasy for a day or week.

No comments:

Post a Comment