Monday, February 11, 2013

BES First Five Weeks #3

I have gathered something that both me and my peers find absolutely astonishing. Basically, anyone can do anything they want in London at any time. I have a few examples of how we have come to this theory.

1) My first example is life at the bar. Back at home, there are gender specific drinks. For example, men drink whiskey and women drink margaritas. However, here, it is completely okay for anyone to drink anything, and no one will bat an eye. At ULU, there are these drinks called Fishbowls. They are basically just ice, lemonade, flavoring, and a little alcohol. When we first saw it, we all joked about getting one. But after a few weeks of going to ULU, we noticed that some guys were drinking them. So, at the Superbowl Party at ULU, four of us decided to split one. We chose to do this to mitigate the price (they are pricey, probably because of the amount of ice). So we got the drink, put four straws in, and went to town on it. The best part about it was that it was so delicious, because it didn't taste like alcohol at all, just candy.


2) My second example is style. People here literally wear whatever they want to and are completely comfortable with it. At home, people get weird looks for wearing clothes that are not the norm. Here, again, no one cares. I have seen people with outrageous shoes; men wearing pants tighter than Shakespearean tights; women with the most outrageous hats; facial piercings on all genders and ages; etc. Even our tutor for Religion class wears some outrageous clothes (he does pull them off so well). He had a wonderful jacket, with a pink vest and ascot, with silly socks and great boots. Professors at home would never be so boisterous with their clothes. The only thing I can think of is that Europeans are just fashionable people who are aware of other styles besides their own, and do not judge based upon your clothes. 

Hopefully I can implement this attitude of "do whatever" into my life at home. Maybe, that will make me seem more relaxed as a person and I can then go home and do anything that will make me happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment