Monday, February 25, 2013

Internship Blog Week 5

This week at my internship, I was not required to go into the Hoxton Trust. This is because Karina was sick, and we previously discussed that she was taking this week off due to the fact that her daughter had mid-term holiday and she did not want to get a sitter for the entire week. So I took advantage of the week off by going to Oxford on Tuesday.

On Wednesday, however, I woke up to a few texts from Karina. In the first text, she asked me to work on the budget a little more. She wanted me to fix the numbers and apportion expenses to LAS, Garden, and Premises accordingly: 3/5 of total costs, 1/5, 1/5. So I went through Wednesday night and fixed all the numbers and made sure that everything balanced everything else. It took about two hours. After that, she asked me to work on a web brief. This came to a little surprise, and I had to research what a web brief was. What it is is basically a snapshot of the business written for a web designer. Supplementing the information on the business is a brief description of what the business wants the website to be like. I sent her an email asking if this is what she wants me to do. However, she never got back to me.

We have been discussing ways to apportion costs out to different department. It has been a bit of a tedious task and we have yet to come up with a viable solution. She asked me to think about how to solve this problem. Over the weekend, I have developed a crude way of apportioning the costs between departments, but I am not sure it is what she wants. I will fine tune it before I go into work on Tuesday and present it to her, along with a completed rough draft outline for her to tell me if it is the correct thing to do and have her point me into the next step.

Being that I didn't go into the office this week, I couldn't really take in any British culture. What I did realize though is that I prefer working in an office setting as opposed to home. Maybe because my desk is dirty, but I felt like I could never really focus and get to work. I was always putting in a maximum 80% instead of 100%. Maybe it's the situation or something. Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment