Saturday, March 2, 2013

2/3/13

1/3

Today, we were fortunate enough to go on a boat trip to Greenwich. We decided to walk down to the pier, which was no longer than a 30 minute walk, so not bad at all. The only bad part of the boat ride was that it was quite chilly. We left from Westminster Pier, which is literally right next to Big Ben. 
See no joke.
It was a real nice boat trip. It took an hour to get to Greenwich, but it was quite chilly on the top deck. I stayed up there while we passed under Tower Bridge though.


So you know, it was quite cold there. I am surprised that I could open my eyes. They were tearing up like no other.


When we left the boat, we walked up a huge hill up to the Greenwich Observatory. It was there that a conference was held, led by the United States, that created the time zone. There, going through the middle of it, was the Prime Meridian. I actually got to straddle the Western and Eastern Hemispheres at the same time!


For some reason, I never take a picture of me doing things. Just my feet

After that, I walked through the museum which was quite interesting. It dealt a lot with clocks, time, instruments measuring time and distance, and astrology. 

Then, I visited the Royal Naval Museum. 

It was huge, but a lot of it was closed for the installation of new exhibitions. It was really nice to be in Greenwich though because it was quiet. There were a decent amount of people in town, but nothing like it is at home. I went to the market there, which it had a lot of cool things there, especially artwork. However, it was quite expensive. I am a little excited to get home and not spend $15 on anything that I purchase. But so be it. For now, c'est la vie. 

I broke off from the group to explore on my own. I walked under the Thames in a subway tunnel. It was the first time I really felt claustrophobic in my life. I am guessing the fact that I was under a river and if the subway broke, I would die. So you know, I did survive. 
I know you can't tell, but that is all a downhill gradient. It was about 200 yards
long once it was flat, then another hill to start climbing up.

It had a very New York City feel to it. It was all lines and corners. Not like the
rest of London. 
I started walking, and I ended up in Millwall. From there, I followed signs to Canary Wharf. What Canary Wharf is is the epicenter of the financial doings in London. There were buildings for HSBC, Citi Bank, and KPMG, along with many others that I didn't see. I rushed through there because I was getting tired. 


Finally, I made it home, exhausted. I ended up taking the tube for a little bit because I couldn't handle the walk home. I did make it a while though. I think I hoofed it about 5 or 6 miles before getting on the Tube.

That night, the place where we lived decided to buy us pizza. So we spent literally the rest of the night in the lounge either eating pizza or talking or both haha. I ended up getting to bed around 2, so I was happy with that.

2/3

I slept in today, so I felt bad about that. I gave it to myself as a little treat though for getting up so early the entire week. I met Matt, Leah, and some of Leah's friends and we went up to Camden Market. It was packed today. We mainly went for lunch. Matt and I decided to split everything we got. First, we got a chicken kebab (which was Turkish) with salad and some sort of sauce on it, wrapped in a tortilla. It is one of those things that I will make Mom try when she is here (only she gets lamb). It is so tasty and cannot be found at home. The second course we got was a Turkish wrap. That had sausage, spinach, and cheese in it. I swear to goodness, it tasted like a taco. There was also some chili yogurt in it. So tasty. For desert, I got a piece of banana bread. I really treated myself today. It was so delicious.


We went into the Stables after to look at some things. There were a lot of neat posters for a Pound (they were smaller, but still a good deal) that the girls bought. I looked at some shoes, I may purchase some by the time I leave. I am walking through my Converse here. We walked home and I ended up watching a movie just to relax.

Tonight, I am going shopping (in about 5 minutes) and then I am going with Joey to explore the East End. We are meeting Matt and Leah eventually and will explore that area tonight with her friends. It should be interesting and I will report back on that (maybe) tomorrow! Until then, I hope you enjoyed the photos!!

No comments:

Post a Comment