Monday, March 4, 2013

Internship Blog Week 6

This was a very busy week at work. I enjoyed it though because be keeping busy, the time literally flies by. I got into work on Tuesday at 10:30 and I was told to take a look at the bank reconciliations for the past year. Something got screwed up in October and we figured we should cross reference the ledger to the bank statement to the checkbook. After spending all morning on that, I took lunch around 2:30. I got a pizza from the place down the road. It had ham and onions on it. Just delicious! The second half of my day was pretty much the same as the beginning: looking for the error. At 4:30, all that I figured out was that the error might be from a previous year. The next hour, Karina and a few of the other volunteers and some of the students were talking, so I listened in. It was not too business related, but it was still fun to listen.I left around 6, after Karina because I wanted to finish up looking over some things and put everything back in its place.

Wednesday, I was asked to start coming in earlier because Karina is bringing her daughter to the Breakfast Club, so she can get in earlier. When I got in, I was asked to do a little research on the website. I emailed a few people about it, asking questions and started to look for some quotes. I drew up a map for the website. At 10:30, we had a meeting with a lady who specializes in human resources. She was very sweet. After that, I worked more on the website design. Around 1:30, Karina offered to take to take me to lunch, which was very sweet. We went to this Vietnamese place, where we got a prawn rice roll, crisps, and for my entree, a pile of Shanghai noodles. It was wonderful. We spent about an hour and a half there talking. We compared a lot between working in the US and in the UK, along with my goals and she told stories from her past. It was a great lunch. I finished the day working on the budget, which became a little tedious. I left at 7:00, just in time to make it to ULU to see my friends for the night.

Thursday, I had to do a little bit of extra work to make the budget kosher. The budget we were working on had codes that were different than the ones we have been working on. So I went through and made an entirely new budget. I have to go over it with Karina, because there are some differences, but that will make it easier for us going forward. That only took about two and a half hours, so no big deal.

Something that I have learned about working in the UK this week is how cozy everyone tries to make it. Work is not an uncomfortable place to be. When we had the meeting, I was asked to get some biscuits and tea for our guest. Also, Karina and I talked about how much conversation goes on at work, but we still seem productive. At home, the amount of conversations we have would not be tolerated. It is nice and honestly, I feel more welcomed here in most settings than I did at home. At home, all of my jobs have just been jobs, working here is honestly an experience.

It is a little messy, but to the left is where I work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment