Saturday, March 16, 2013

Internship Journal Week 7

This week was a little more normal than most, which honestly I am grateful for. I can now imagine being a boss, and having to keep track of meetings, seminars, and a whole bunch of other things, so you almost forget that you have day to day work to do.

On Tuesday, I got in at 9.30. After a spot of tea, Karina and I went to work on the budget. We were having issues trying to figure out some of the costs to the building. After a while spent on that, I was tasked with researching a few things. They included phone contracts, internet providers, and more changes on National Insurance contribution. In the afternoon, after a late lunch, I worked a little on the website. It has proven a challenge because with our limited budget, we will probably have to deal with a freelance designer. The problem is that design agencies are the ones with all the websites. Karina had to go meet some people after work, so we got out promptly at 5.30, which was nice. I ended up taking the long route to the bus because it was so beautiful out.

Wednesday was more or less the same. We worked on the budget but I only worked on the website project for about an hour. The other time I was in work, I dealt with inputting paid out amounts into the system. It took a while but it all seemed to work out. I printed out some reports for Karina, and then left. Like I said, it was a very atypical week because it was so typical. Kim, Karina and I got talking around 4.30 and that was pretty much the end of my day. I left around 6.10, knowing that I had to do a little work once I got home because Karina changed some of the cells on the spreadsheet of the budget. I spent about an hour just making all four pages congruent. Nothing to big, but I wanted to get it done so she could look at it more on Thursday.

I have been talking to my mom about my internship and comparing it to my time at work. Still, one of the biggest things is that the ability to talk with your coworkers makes it a much more enjoyable workplace. I understand that most days, I leave for work at 8.40 and usually don't get back home much before 7.00. However, I don't have the hesitation that I did going to work as I do in the states (where I leave at 7.00 and am home at 4.45). I think a lot to do with it is that I can talk to my coworkers and not feel pressured to fit in as much work as I can plus an extra 15%. I will miss this aspect of work when I go home. 

Like I said, it was beautiful coming home from work. On the horizon is the city, and the lights against the
dark blue sky really was beautiful and inspiring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment