Thursday, June 21, 2012

21/6/12

Sooo the French have this thing. It is called la Fete de la Musique. It is a festival that starts around noon and last pretty much all night. Oh yea, and it takes place around the ENTIRE COUNTRY! Everywhere from Paris to Strasbourg, Arles to Caen is celebrating music by having a block party that will blow any in the United States out of the water (mind you, the entire country is celebrating this, by partying to music). 

Earlier in the day, we went into a McDonalds to use the bathroom (We won't eat the food because come on...we are in France) and guess what we saw? There were two security guards working the door and one on the second floor making sure everything was Kosher. WHAT?! Be careful, people in France must get really rowdy for their BigMac, enough to where they need Bouncers, a VIP list, and three floors. Unbelievable. 

As promised, here are some photos of my trip to Normandy. I am sorry I don't have any from the fete de la musique, but I had low expectations for it (I dropped the ball on that, sorry).


The view from Omaha Beach


At Pointe du Hoc. It those gullies are holes left from bombs. The amazing thing is that during the invasion, some climbed up those cliffs. WHAT?!




Actual Pointe du Hoc. There is a monument there to commemorate D-Day. I don't think many Americans realize how big of a deal it really was to the war (I know I didn't) and how much it is celebrated here, especially in the Normandy region. 



This was actually out of my window today, around 5. The clouds rolled in so fast and were so dark. So beautiful though. 

Ok well I must be to bed, being I have to get up in 6 hours for class. But I hope all is well and enjoy the first full day of summer!!

No comments:

Post a Comment