Friday, June 22, 2012

22/6/12

Week number 2 is now over, and it is flying by! We got out of class at 1215 today. In phonetics, we all got destroyed trying to make an "oo" sound (like in tu vs nous for those who know French). For me, I tried to differentiate the words by changing my inflection, not changing anything else. It didn't work. It is surprisingly hard to make noises in French. Other than that, classes went ok.

After, we went to (( Sorry, Rory, if you are reading this, could I use Afterwards and/or Afterwords interchangeably? If not, could you define the difference.)) the Memorial de Caen. I guess it is the second most visited museum in France after The Louvre. It was amazing. It walked you through everything from 1914 to about 1950. It was so detailed and amazing. There was this one room that was basically a bubble that had ceramic walls and a video of Hitler yelling chants that are echoing perpetually around you. It was really heavy though, the whole experience. Seeing the atrocities from a European point of view is much different than in America. Also, it took Germany like 15 days to take over France. The president/prime minister basically said... well its yours how about. That is it. It was absurd. We finished the museum with a video of D-Day because they can't get enough of it here. It was unique though because the left side of the screen was the allies preparing, launching, and attacking while on the right it was the Germans preparing and defending at the same time.

I then had dinner at a crepe place. I had a crepe. It was decent. Then I bought breakfast at Monoprix for tomorrow and Sunday and now I am here to work on some journal entries and see what else the night brings. I hope you all have a nice weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment